In addition to plasma and red and white blood cells, your blood contains specialized cells called platelets that are critical to blood clotting and preventing hemorrhage. Platelets are also rich in protein growth factors that are vital to healing a variety of injuries to the body.
Made using a patient’s own blood, platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a preparation offering rich amounts of platelets separated from red and white blood cells during centrifugation. Growth factor concentration delivered by PRP is between five and 10 times greater than what is normally found in drawn blood.
PRP preparations stimulate and accelerate the repair and healing of damaged soft tissue and bone by introducing a concentrated solution of cytokines and other growth factors into injured areas. Growth factor proteins secreted by platelets encourage tissue repair by increasing the production of collagen and promoting stem cell proliferation within muscles, cartilage and ligaments.
In addition, PRP injections stimulate blood flow to injured areas, causing cartilage to become even more resilient against stress or disease.
Rich plasma injection treatment in New York City may help heal:
- Chronic tendon injuries, such as tennis elbow, patellar tendon inflammation (runner’s knee) and recurring Achilles tendonitis
- Acute muscle and ligament injuries (pulled hamstrings, knee sprains and other sports-related injuries)
- Surgical repair of torn rotator cuff tendons, ACL and MCL tears in the knee and torn knee ligaments
- Knee, shoulder or hip osteoarthritis
In addition to these injuries, PRP injections may also be used to treat other bone, muscle and tissue conditions. Your rich plasma injection doctor in Jersey City will discuss other optional uses of PRP therapy with you during your consultation.
Your doctor will evaluate your complete medical history before determining whether you would be a good candidate for platelet-rich plasma treatment. PRP may not be indicated if you:
- Have had breast or prostate cancer not in remission for at least the past five years
- an existing infection
- Are taking high dosages of Coumadin or other blood-thinning agents
- Have Parkinson’s disease or cerebral palsy
- Have a blood-borne disease or multiple health issues
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of PRP, call Regional Orthopedics today to schedule an appointment with a plasma-rich injection doctor at one of our locations in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Jersey City or New York City.