What We Do
Meet the Team of Physicians & Surgeons
Visit Us At Our Convenient Locations
New York City
New York, NY 10006
Staten Island, NY 10314
Services Provided by a New York City Orthopedic Surgeon
Orthopedic doctors in NYC specialize in diagnosing and treating diseases and injuries affecting the musculoskeletal system. All your joints, bones, muscles, tendons, nerves and ligaments comprise your musculoskeletal system and make it possible for you to be physically active. Orthopedic doctors complete 14 years of intensive education that includes earning an undergraduate degree, completing 4 years of medical school, working five years as an orthopedic resident at a hospital and further sub-specializing with a 1 year fellowship. Orthopedic surgeons must also pass written and oral examinations presented by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
Your orthopedic doctor in Staten Island can perform many different kinds of treatments and surgeries on the musculoskeletal system that include:
- Total or partial joint replacement using artificial components called prostheses
- Bone fusions that connect bones with metal rods or bone grafts to promote healing of one solid bone
- Internal fixation procedures to hold fractured bone pieces together in their proper positions, including pins, metal plates or screws to keep pieces together as the bone is healing
- Osteotomy, or the surgical correction of bone deformities by repositioning or cutting bone
- Arthroscopy, a minimally invasive procedure using tiny cameras and state-of-the-art medical equipment to view, diagnose and treat joint issues without performing actual surgery
- Repair of damaged soft tissues, such as torn ligaments or tendons
Initially, your Jersey City orthopedic surgeon may recommend prescription medications, special exercises, rehabilitative therapies or a combination of all these treatments to heal your musculoskeletal injury. If your condition does not respond or is not expected to respond to noninvasive treatments, then your doctor will likely propose having surgery.
Top Procedures Performed by a Staten Island Orthopedic Surgeon
- Knee arthroscopies and meniscectomies
- Shoulder arthroscopies, debridements and decompressions
- Knee arthroscopies and chondroplasties
- Carpal tunnel (wrist/hand) release
- Rotator cuff repairs
- Anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions (knee joint)
- Knee replacements
- Laminectomies (spine surgery)
- Skin/bone/fracture/muscle debridements
- Hip replacements
- Repairs of fractured radius/ulna
- Lumbar spinal fusions
Facts about Orthopedic Surgery
- Success rates of orthopedic procedures today are high due to rapid advances in medical technology over the past decade. In fact, more than 95 percent of patients having hip replacement surgery experienced relief from chronic hip pain. Moreover, success rates of hip replacements 20 years after the replacement remains impressive at 80 to 85 percent.
- An orthopedic surgeon (originally called an “orthopedist”) used to specialize in treating only children with limb and spine deformities. Today, orthopedic surgeons care for people of all ages, including newborns.
- An orthopedic surgeon in NYC has completed four years of undergraduate work, four years of medical school, five years in orthopedic residency, 1 year sub-specialty fellowship and passed written and oral exams given by the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery.
- Orthopedic surgeons may choose to specialize in one or more areas, such as reconstructive surgery, musculoskeletal oncology, sports medicine or pediatric orthopedics.
For more information about orthopedics, or to talk to an orthopedic surgeon about your musculoskeletal health concerns, contact Regional Orthopedic today.